Mold is Terribly Dangerous to Humans!

by Guest Author on July 12, 2013


A house full of mold is not a healthy place to live. Mold annihilates air quality, and the residents get sick as a result.

There is a reason mold exists. It helps break down dead material and aids in reprocessing nutrients into the environment. It is a tiny organism found on plant matter and animals. Mold creates spores, and that is how it duplicates. The spores are in the air and in the water and are spread by insects.

Mold is generally found in places that are damp, such as a bathroom and becomes very problematic when a residence is not adequately ventilated or insulated. On the other hand, some buildings are insulated so extremely this entraps contaminants. This is called tight building syndrome.

Mold proliferates when it has oxygen, moisture, a surface to grow on and a food source. Once the mold embeds itself in dust, which is a food source, it needs moisture, which it can find in an air conditioner unit or from high natural levels of humidity. The coils in an air-conditioning system should be inspected to see if mold is growing in it. A dust sample should be taken.

Mold spores can also get trapped in the dust inside a furnace. When active mold is located within a heating system, a professional remediation expert should be hired to clean the furnace as well as the ductwork.

Inspection

When a home is inspected for mold, air samples should be taken inside the house as well as outside so a comparison can be made. Mold spores are continuously in the air so the inspector checks to see what the difference is in the amount of spores outside and the amount of spores inside.

A visual inspection of the home’s interior is done. A clear sign of mold is dark-colored spots found on permeable surfaces that have been exposed to moisture. If the inspector can’t see any obvious indication, it is possible the mold is growing inside the ceiling or walls.

When mold isn’t detected, the inspector or homeowner should look for signs of moisture, such as a leak in a ceiling. A small camera can be inserted through a hole cut in the wall to determine if there is mold. If mold is found behind the walls, the inspector and his team may have to remove an entire room while wearing protective gear and masks for their own protection. This is very costly for the homeowner.

If a person sees a small amount of mold on a surface, scrubbing it with chlorine bleach usually gets rid of it.

The Dangers of Mold

When exposed to mold, people breathe in the spores. This leads to allergies, infections and toxic results. Some develop extreme reactions to mold including difficulty breathing and a fever. Allergic responses to mold include wheezing, coughing, a runny nose, red and tearing eyes and a skin rash or irritation.

Those with compromised immune systems or who suffer from lung disease can experience dangerous infections as a result of being exposed to mold. Mold has been connected to hypersensitivity pneumonitis in those who are pre-disposed to this immunologic condition.

If you think there is mold in your home it is imperative that you have the residence inspected as soon as possible.

Cory Ingram is a professional blogger that shares news and advice on mold removal and mold inspection in Union City, NJ. He writes for Indoor-Restore Environmental Services, a company that provides services for mold remediation in California.


Leave a Comment

{ 1 trackback }

Previous post:

Next post:

   
     

We hope you have a great Sundaybell experience and don’t forget:
before you BUY and SELL, connect with Sundaybell!

   
     

Real Estate Professionals learn about Sundaybell Benefits