5 Questions To Ask Your Real Estate Agent, Part 2

by Sundaybell on July 25, 2012


How can you tell if a real estate agent is competent or the right one for you? It’s not always easy to find a good agent but knowing what questions to ask – so that you can separate the wheat from the chaff – is half the battle! We continue with part 2 of our series on questions you should be asking your real estate agent before deciding to work with them.

1. Can I see your references?

As with any job interview, it’s important to get a real estate agent’s references. In order to form an idea of how effective they are, ask for Realtor® references from their last five deals. Make sure you contact at least two of them, as this will give you a better idea about how the real estate agent works and their performance to date.

2. Can I see samples of the kinds of documents you want me to sign?

It’s not a strange thing to ask for and a good real estate agent will be happy to provide you with copies you can preview. As a buyer, ask for copies of the following:

As a seller, ask to see:

3. Why should I choose you as my real estate agent?

Remember, you’re conducting a job interview and any real estate agent worth their salt won’t think twice about answering this question! What consumers want most from their ideal real estate agent is that they are:

  • Honest and trustworthy
  • Assertive
  • Excellent negotiators
  • Available by phone or e-mail
  • Good communicators
  • Friendly
  • Analytical
  • Able to maintain a good sense of humor under trying circumstances

4. What kind of guarantee can you give me?

This is an important question that must be asked. It relates directly to if – for whatever reason – you’re unhappy with your real estate agent’s performance, will they release you from your agreement with them? Whereas some agents will, there are others who won’t, so it’s important to establish which type you’re dealing with.

5. How much is your fee?

All real estate agent fees are negotiable; don’t assume that you have to pay whatever the agent is asking for. Typically, a real estate agent will charge a percentage, from 1% to 4% to represent one side of a transaction: a seller or a buyer. A listing agent may charge, for example, 3.5% for herself and another 3.5% for the buyer’s agent, for a total of 7%. NEGOTIATE. If you’re buying, look into the possibility of getting a homebuyers rebate.

It’s important to remember that when looking for an agent, you’re hiring somebody to do a job for you; it’s not as if the real estate agent is doing you any favors by agreeing to work with you. So make sure to ask those tough questions – as in any job interview – because if you don’t, you may end up regretting it. This concludes our 2-part article on questions to ask your real estate agent; if you it helpful, please let us know! Also, tell us about any other questions that you didn’t see here, which you would ask your real estate agent.


Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post:

   
     

We hope you have a great Sundaybell experience and don’t forget:
before you BUY and SELL, connect with Sundaybell!

   
     

Real Estate Professionals learn about Sundaybell Benefits